Many of us throw the word friend around all too lightly. We meet someone in a lobby and leave out thinking we have made a friend. The definition of friend according to the World Dictionary is:
1. a person known well to another and regarded with liking, affection, and loyalty; an intimate
2. an acquaintance or associate
3. an ally in a fight or cause; supporter
4. a fellow member of a party, society, etc
5. a patron or supporter: a friend of the opera
6. be friends to be friendly (with)
7. make friends to become friendly (with)
How many people do you call a friend and do they meet the above requirements? How many in your circle really support you and your dreams? How many in your circle would truly fight for you especially in the presence of others who may be talking against you? Just because you break bread with someone from time to time doesn’t make them a friend. Friends should be cherished and appreciated and never taken lightly.
In the bible Jesus called us His friend. In John 15:15
Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you (KJV).
Read Jesus’ words closely. He called those who He had shared the gospel with His friends. He said a friend knoweth what his lord doeth. Can you honestly put everyone in this category that you call friend? Be careful who you let in your circle and call friend. You don’t want everyone knowing what you are doing if they can’t support and pray for you.
Who is your friend?
Dr Lisa Melton